• May 15th, 2013
The final episode in the Your Stories crime and punishment trilogy brings even more legal run-ins, even more ethical quandaries, and some actually super touching reflection. To close out the month, enjoy:
- Dwight & Eric: Folsom Prison Blues
- Chris Geiger: Campus Cops Are Dicks
- Shelby Mongan: Hair Rebellion
- Mark Wold: My Rules
- Chris Crotwell: Introduction to Post-Conventional Morality
- Andrew Bentley: Don
If you like what you hear and live in or near Chicago, why not come to the next Your Stories event? It's this Sunday!
• May 8th, 2013
In case you didn't get enough of crime and punishment last week (and of course you didn't!), we've got part 2 of 3 of May's show here for your listening pleasure! What happens when all society's order breaks down? What monstrous evil do we see underneath its external gleam? ... Well, those are questions a little beyond our scope, but these stories are great anyway!
- Dwight & Eric: Breakin' the Law
- Jon Lester: Corn Detasseling Gang Warfare
- Yusuf Abonamah: Adventures in Egypt
- Julie Pearson: Steal the Sign
- Jeremy Kanne: Ex-Girlfriend Effigy
- Erik Parsons: #WhitePeopleScareMeMore
- Dwight & Eric: Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard
In Chicago and free this Sunday? Game! See a great Nerdologues show with the creators of Cards Against Humanity! Raise money for charity! All at the Dweebutante Ball!
• May 1st, 2013
Bobby Fuller wasn't the first person to have a run-in with the law, nor is he the last. Here our lovely storytellers talk about their own experiences with law, order, chaos, and crime. Enjoy:
- Dwight & Eric: I Fought the Law
- Claire Friedman: OK Cupid Habits
- Mary Beth Smith: "If This is the Last Time You Hear From Me, You'll Know Why"
- Lauren Rodriguez: The Only Three Times I Got in Trouble
- Sawyer Heppes: The Adventures of Schmitty
- Dwight & Eric: Criminal
If you enjoy the music of Dwight and Eric on this show, be a doll and "like" their band page on Facebook! They'll be gigging around Chicago this summer. And don't miss the original sketch comedy show/1970s Hobbit singalong Cinco de Bilbo, happening this Sunday at the Public House Theatre!
• April 25th, 2013
Here at Your Stories, we're all about giving you more bang for your buck. Of course, you don't pay anything for this show, but still, here's some bonus content from this past month, including a super awesome online submission on April's theme of madness from regular storyteller Charlie Madsen, as well as some songs Dwight and I performed at an Improvised Star Trek/Nerdologues show a few weeks ago. Improvised Star Trek, by the way, is a super great group of people with a super great podcast of their own.
- Charlie Madsen: Swampy Home Companion
- Dwight & Eric: Magic Carpet Ride
- Dwight & Eric: Ooby Dooby
Come check out the Nerdologues at all the cool stuff they're doing this C2E2 weekend in Chicago, like Friday's C2E2 After Party!
• April 15th, 2013
If you thought last episode was crazy, get on board for this wild ride through topics as disparate as Joseph Kony, The Legend of Zelda, and belligerent airline passengers (that last one ends up being a lot cooler than it sounds). This time out, enjoy songs and stories from:
- Dwight & Eric: Crazy Train
- Jeremy Kanne: The Sound of Grumbles
- Kyle Talley: What Do Zordon, Professor X, and Peter Pan Have in Common?
- Chris Crotwell: A Night Away from Boot Camp
- Mark Wold: Turbulence
- Claire Friedman: Anxietyville
- Dwight & Eric: Basket Case
If you want to participate in the next Your Stories recording, here's the info! And/or come check us out at C2E2!
• April 1st, 2013
Sure, your calendar says it's April, but your Your Stories podcast says it's March. Enjoy the first of our episodes centered on the theme of madness with the following stories:
- Chris Geiger: "To This Day"
- Erik Parsons: How I Was Accidentally Racist
- Shelby Mongan: Pick a Passion
- Yusef Abonamah: Transactions in Dubai
- Kalen Whitfield: The Bosses of Chicago
- Alex Talavera: A Bad Trip
- Dwight & Eric: Our House
• March 22nd, 2013
We're closing out fanfiction month on Your Stories with a trio of fantastic tales from three wonderful storytellers. Enjoy this episode featuring:
- Charlie Madsen: Action Figure World-Building
- Jeanette Diaz: In Defense of the Mary Sue
- Marnie Thompson: Call Me Maybe (viola mix)
And if you'd like to submit your own story to next month's online episode, listen to the intro of this podcast for details!
• March 15th, 2013
Hey, look, it's an episode you didn't expect! This week, original Nerdologues members Kevin Walsh and John Thibodeaux had a chat with me about their newest project, The Startup. Also, since it's fanfiction month, Kevin Walsh shares a prepared piece that old-school Nerdologues fans might recognize. This episode contains:
- The Startup interview with John Thibodeaux and Kevin Walsh
- Kevin Walsh: Fuck You, J. J. Abrams
If this sounds like a cool thing you want to see, go to the free premiere party at the Public House Theatre in a couple weeks! Also, if you've been enjoying fanfiction month, come to iO Chicago tonight for a very special one-off show.
• March 8th, 2013
Warning: in this exploration of fanfiction, things get a little slashy.
- Dwight & Eric: Over the Hills and Far Away
- Chris Geiger: Nerdologues/Nerdologues
- Jeremy Kanne: Your Life is a Story
- Mary Beth Smith: Share Your Joy
- Kyle Talley: Gambit/Kyle
- Sawyer Heppes: The Best Instrument of Fanfiction
- Shelby Mongan: What Fanfiction Has Meant to Me
- Dwight & Eric: Tribute to Zeppelin
Chicago, come play a few rounds of Werewolf (the card game) with The Nerdologues and Cars Against Humanity creator Max Temkin this Sunday!
• March 1st, 2013
This month, Your Stories is taking on the topic of fanfiction with tales that both analyze and embody this wonderful facet of nerd culture. Listen to this episode for:
- Dwight & Eric: Battle of Evermore
- Dwight & Eric: Ramble On
- Eric Garneau: Transformers Spotlight: Punch-Counterpunch
- Chris Crotwell: Masters of Escapism
- Maura Foley: Dr. RuPaul, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Being a Girl
- Mike Chuck Bretzlaff: Star Wars: The Discovery
- Vince Scalabrino: Transmission: A Heavy Metal Redux
As promised, you can download the full text of Mike Bretzlaff's Star Wars story here! (it is but an under-2MB PDF).
Special thanks to Mike and Vince from Chicago Loot Drop for sharing with us this month! If you're in Chicago, come check out our brand-new, one-time-only sketch show The March of Madness this Sunday, March 3.